Giving back is an integral part of Company of Women.
Charity of Choice
Girls Inc. inspires all girls to be strong, smart, and bold SM through life-changing programs and experiences that help girls navigate gender, economic, and social barriers. Research-based curricula, delivered by trained, mentoring professionals in a positive all-girl environment equip girls to achieve academically; lead healthy and physically active lives; manage money; navigate media messages; and discover an interest in science, technology, engineering, and math. The network of local Girls Inc. nonprofit organizations serves 136,000 girls ages 6 - 18 annually across the United States and Canada.
Company of Women raised funds for programming and at its 2014
conference, compiled 175 school bags for girls who are part of Girls
Inc in Halton.
Because I am a girl
Girls in the poorest regions of the world are among the most disadvantaged people on the planet. They are more likely to live in poverty, more likely to be denied access to education, and more likely to be malnourished, simply because they are young and female.
And yet, studies show that when you invest in girls, the whole world
benefits. If a girl has enough to eat, a safe environment, and an
education, she’ll work to raise the standard of living for herself, her
family and her community. And in time, she can even strengthen the
economy of her entire country. Company of Women members have been
encouraged to sponsor a girl.
Opportunity International is a charity that provides micro credit loans to women in developing countries. With just a small loan of $84, a woman’s life is transformed forever. Through our Give Change to Make Change campaign, women were asked to give their change at the end of an event, so we can help women entrepreneurs in developing countries. We have donated over $4,000 through this project.
Founder, Anne Day, helped to compile a book – Faces of Opportunity – as
a fundraiser for Opportunity International. The book shares the
stories of 20 women who have built their businesses and their lives,
thanks to the support of this charity. To date over $20,000 has
been raised through sales of the book.
The Chicks out Walking team raised over $35,000 for the Weekend to End Breast Cancer. For two years, Anne Day and the team walked in the 60K Weekend to End Breast Cancer event.
In September, 2008 we raised $2,000 for Habitat for Humanity for their Toronto
Women Build project.
In the past, we have supported the following non-profit groups:
- Alzheimer Toronto
- Arthritis Society
- ATHENA Oakville
- Breast Cancer Support Services
- Canadian Foundation for Women's Health
- Canadian Women’s Foundation
- Children's Aid Foundation
- Girls Inc
- Habitat for Humanity (Canada) Inc
- Halton Women's Place
- Hospital for Sick Children Foundation
- Junior League of Burlington
- Oakville Children's Choir
- Oakville Literacy Council
- Ovarian Cancer Canada
- Salvation Army
- SKETCH program for street youth
- Tamya Peralto Fundraiser
- UNICEF – Tsunami Fund
- United Way of Milton
- Wellspring Cancer Support Centre
- Wild Life Fund
- Yonge Street Mission
- Youth in Motion
- Zonta Club of Oakville
- Company of Women has been a proud sponsor of ATHENA Oakville.
- In partnership with ATHENA Oakville, we have assisted in the purchase of tool kits to the value of $500 each to support mature women entering the skilled trades programs offered at the Centre for Skills Development and Training.
- In 2005 and 2010, we were a sponsor of Women as Career Coaches, a career exploration event for female high school student.
- We have also been pleased to support the Canadian Women's Foundation with in-kind sponsorship.